Sunday, September 24, 2006

The “it” that I continually mention in the poem below refers to keeping an online teaching journal. The goal and challenge is this: to reflect regularly on my classes at least once or, if possible, twice a week and post those reflections online.

In the past I’ve tried to keep a teaching journal, but haven’t been very successful at doing so for any length of time. I’ve also tried to find actual examples of reflection on language teaching on the internet and haven’t had much success. There seems to be a lot of resources about various theories of reflective practice (I’ll add links to those I think are most useful to the language teaching context), but not many examples. So I’m hoping that this blog might be a useful resource for teachers who would benefit from reading actual reflections on teaching. And imagining that there is an audience out there who will read my reflections creates the incentive to add new content.

Maybe I’ll find out that I’m the only one who is interested in reading examples of reflection – and that’ll be all right. “Way leads on to way” and this is the way I’m being led right now.

Happy teaching!

1 comment:

Wilma said...

Thanks for your encouragement, Taro! I have great admiration for junior and senior high school teachers in Japan. They work such long hours and have so many responsibilities. But making time to talk about teaching can be an effective way to recharge your batteries and get good ideas to try out--even talking for 20 or 30 minutes once a week during lunch hour can be helpful.